Increase your Physical Activity! – Easy Tips & Tricks
Easy ways to increase your physical activity each day
As more of us are working longer hours every week, its no surprise that getting to the gym or finding time to play sports can be a challenge. Since every little bit helps, here are some simple tips and tricks for squeezing a little more physical activity into your regular day:
• Walk part of the way. If you take public transit to work, consider getting off a stop or two early and walking the rest of the way. If you drive, park a little farther away. Even adding 10-15 minutes of walking to the beginning and end of your work day can pay off in the long run.
• Take the stairs. Stairs are a great way to keep your muscles working and get your heart rate up. Even trading the elevator for the stairs for just 2-3 floors will add up over the week.
• Remind yourself to move. Working at a computer all day? Getting too caught up in your work to remember to take a break? Set up a reminder to pop up every hour and remind you to do some stretches or take a little walk around the office. Your body and your brain will be grateful for the change!
• Use a pedometer. Pedometers are small gadgets that count the number of steps you take each day. There are countless models on the market these days, from the most affordable basic step-counters to pricier high-tech options that monitor your steps as well as your heart rate, sleep quality, stair counts, calories burned, and more. Whatever your preference in pedometers, a good goal to aim for is taking 10 000 steps per day.
• Have walking meetings. When you have to meet informally with coworkers, try turning the meeting into a walk. Even if the meeting is short, a few minutes of walking will do you more good than sitting around a table. You will also feel refreshed after getting a little activity into your work day.
• Find activities you enjoy. Above all else, finding an activity that you enjoy doing is going to be the most effective way to keep active. Find something active that doesn’t feel like a chore and you’ll be much more likely to do it on a regular basis!